Upload Photos Refer a PRO
  ECHO Means Business FORUM
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
Business Start-up  XML
Forum Index » Operating/Managing a Business
Author Message
Koehn's Lawn Service

Pro-User




[Avatar]

Joined:

Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:54 AM
Messages: 114
Offline

I started when I was young. I was fortunate, my father and uncle had started a lawn care business with there sprinkler business and it got to be to much for them to handle. So I bought it from them and actually had to drop there commercial accounts and some bigger residential accounts so I could start by myself and manage it on my own. I did not get a loan but I paid them each month till I paid off the business. It was scary and I was nervous because I was young and did not know anything about running a business and had never had to deal with customers. Even though I bought an existing business I had to learn to deal with the financial end of things and the overhead that came with it and make sure I was smart and could not just buy equipment and things until I was sure I could pay the bills. You don't have to start out with top of the line equipment right off the bat unless you already have the money to make that happen but what a lot of people don't realize is you have to have the accounts already established to support it and pay for it and still make money for yourself. If not get good equitment or you will fight it and struggle to get through your days so you want descent equitment. I ran 21 inch mowers for the 1st couple years than started making enough money as my business grew I was able to get a 36 inch walk behind. As I continued making money I continued upgrading epuipment. I did know and had the desire that I was going to make it in this business. Whenever I have people come to me and are interested in starting a lawn care I will encourage them try to give them all the info I can and even help them with finding accounts when I can but I will never sugar coat things and make it sound like its just going to be easy. When saying this I have had 2 or 3 people come to me that have families. If they can find a existing business that would be just the right size to start that is perfect. If they are going into it from the ground up it is going to be scary for the first few years. I had a good friend buy a existing business here and it was a big commercial company. He stepped into to something I don't think he could even begin to comprehend and within about 3 years he was done. I have now been in business for 32 years and in this time I have watched the industry change so much. The market around here is so saturated now compared to what it used to be makes it harder for people to get started around here. With this being said and what I have said here is not to discourage at all but to just share some reality about going into business. Now if this is something a person desires to do and what you want you can make it happen. It takes determination and sacrifice and hard work as it would with any business. You are the one that will make it happen. Your business will be what you put into it and what you want it to be. As you start out start building your accounts and cash flow than each year you can start upgrading your equipment as you need to. Get to knowing your local lawncare services and fertilizing companies and property management companies and even realiters in the area. The main thing is to go out and give 100% and do quality work and people will see your work and what you do and they will want you to mow their lawn. In 32 years of business I have never put money into advertising all my business comes through word of mouth and referals. I am not saying this in arrogants I am saying have the attitude that I am going to be the best out there than go do it. I promise the work will come to you when people see your work and what you do. Good luck to you and go after it and make it happen. There are a lot of gentlemen on here that give out great advice and more than happy to help out.
YoMommaCutsMyGrass

Pro-User





Joined:

Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:59 AM
Messages: 169
Offline

TopCat Lawn Services wrote:I'm new to the ECHO Means Business Forums. Happy to be here and to meet y'all.

I am just starting my business this year. I have Insurance lined up, Business Cards on Order, working on a logo for Truck Magnets, a couple of customers set up. I am starting out as a Sole Proprietor/Solo Operator not looking for business loans. I will start out part time as I will be working to build a customer base. I hope to have 10-15 customers, maybe 20-25, by the end of the season here in GA.

Initial Services I will provide will be the standard Mowing, Trimming/Edging and Blowing. I need to find a good mower(walk behind Hydro-Drive) and trailer then I am off and mowing.

A question I'd like to ask would be : Do I need a business plan before I start out?

What do y'all think?





Welcome to EMB my friend,. A written plan for anything is always a great idea and with the understanding that change may happen for worse or better should also be welcomed. Because changes is what makes us better at what we do.

What ever equipment you start out with make sure you don't bankrupt your pocket book before you get started lol.

You are doing the right things as far as getting all those things on your list done.

I would just start cutting lawns now, no need to wait for a logo and others things to be done. When those things are checked off on the list then that's a bonus

Keep pushing forward and stay motivated

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Thu Mar 1, 2018 7:01 AM

Plemons_LawnandLandscape

Pro-User




[Avatar]

Joined:

Sun Oct 1, 2017 2:33 PM
Messages: 255
Offline

TopCat Lawn Services wrote:I'm new to the ECHO Means Business Forums. Happy to be here and to meet y'all.

I am just starting my business this year. I have Insurance lined up, Business Cards on Order, working on a logo for Truck Magnets, a couple of customers set up. I am starting out as a Sole Proprietor/Solo Operator not looking for business loans. I will start out part time as I will be working to build a customer base. I hope to have 10-15 customers, maybe 20-25, by the end of the season here in GA.

Initial Services I will provide will be the standard Mowing, Trimming/Edging and Blowing. I need to find a good mower(walk behind Hydro-Drive) and trailer then I am off and mowing.

A question I'd like to ask would be : Do I need a business plan before I start out?

What do y'all think?


Having a business plan wouldn’t hurt. However if you have the drive to really grind out those tough days your in your way to building a business. You can start with just a push mower if that is all you afford at first. Craigslist is a good place to start for good used equipment or even in the Facebook marketplace. I do recommend not going out and. Using the most expensive machine on the market to start but a good used commercial machine if you can.

website: www.plemonslawncare.com

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/plemonslawnandlandscape/

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/plemonslawnandlandscape/

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2oN5ihPnOLKfrYwGZ5JZpQ
onelove_lawn

Pro-User




[Avatar]

Joined:

Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:18 PM
Messages: 155
Offline

Rule #1 never take a loan out to start a business
with that being said we started with what we had a push mower worked our way up to a used slueth 33" then up to a very old scag 36 and a old ranson bobcat
We used that line up for our first two years of business Till we could afford a new Exmark 52 sold off the older stuff to get a few nice newer 36's Just been working our way up a lil at a time
No loans is the way to go

Website:
http://www.onelovelawn.com/
Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/OneLoveLawn/?ref=bookmarks
Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMLT8qomH8
Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/onelove_lawn/?hl=en

Plemons_LawnandLandscape

Pro-User




[Avatar]

Joined:

Sun Oct 1, 2017 2:33 PM
Messages: 255
Offline

Yes if you can avoid a loan do so. Once you get a loan it will start eating into thenprofit

website: www.plemonslawncare.com

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/plemonslawnandlandscape/

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/plemonslawnandlandscape/

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2oN5ihPnOLKfrYwGZ5JZpQ
TopCat Lawn Care

Pro-User




[Avatar]

Joined:

Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:25 PM
Messages: 19
Offline

TexasVeteranLawnService wrote:Welcome to EMB my friend,. A written plan for anything is always a great idea and with the understanding that change may happen for worse or better should also be welcomed. Because changes is what makes us better at what we do.

What ever equipment you start out with make sure you don't bankrupt your pocket book before you get started lol.

You are doing the right things as far as getting all those things on your list done.

I would just start cutting lawns now, no need to wait for a logo and others things to be done. When those things are checked off on the list then that's a bonus

Keep pushing forward and stay motivated


I am ready to go to work. If it ever stops raining and even if I have to haul the mower in the back of my trailblazer.

Thanks for the welcome aboard.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Fri Mar 2, 2018 2:50 AM

TopCat Lawn Care

Pro-User




[Avatar]

Joined:

Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:25 PM
Messages: 19
Offline

Plemons_LawnandLandscape wrote:Having a business plan wouldn’t hurt. However if you have the drive to really grind out those tough days your in your way to building a business. You can start with just a push mower if that is all you afford at first. Craigslist is a good place to start for good used equipment or even in the Facebook marketplace. I do recommend not going out and. Using the most expensive machine on the market to start but a good used commercial machine if you can.


I have my eye on a SnapperPro SW25 36" Hydro-Drive Walk Behind but its $5300, I beleive it is almost the same mower as the Ferris FW25 36". Not sure if I can swing the $5300 and a trailer. I am looking for a good used walk behind though.
TopCat Lawn Care

Pro-User




[Avatar]

Joined:

Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:25 PM
Messages: 19
Offline

onelove_lawn wrote:Rule #1 never take a loan out to start a business
with that being said we started with what we had a push mower worked our way up to a used slueth 33" then up to a very old scag 36 and a old ranson bobcat
We used that line up for our first two years of business Till we could afford a new Exmark 52 sold off the older stuff to get a few nice newer 36's Just been working our way up a lil at a time
No loans is the way to go


This may be what I do. Even if I can only do a few yards to start at least it is a start.

Some wise man once said "The journey of a thousand miles starts with the first step." I just need to take that first step.
TopCat Lawn Care

Pro-User




[Avatar]

Joined:

Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:25 PM
Messages: 19
Offline

@Koehn's Lawn Service

I read your post I didn't want to clutter up the board by quoting all of it.

You shared some great advice in your post.

I worked hard in my younger days in construction then went into technology, have even dabbled some in the Auto Mechanican field. I grew tired of being in an office, inside all of the day, putting up with office politics. I worked as a contractor in Field Service and that was great but tough to make a go of as you are always looking for that next contract before the one you are working ends (Probably not unlike where one is always looking for the next customer). I won't lie, the money was okay to real good at times but I was never really happy working in that field in offices all day long.

I like to work outside, be outside, work with my hands and I hope I realize that there are gonna be some long hard days ahead for me as I go forward in this venture/adventure. Watching all the videos from the guys here who make them and the ones I have seen on youtube from other folks I can see that there are some truly great, talented smart guys and I am sure gals running their own Lawn Care/Landscaping businesses. To try and jump in is a little intimidating but I am up for a great challenge.

Being a little older than some is the reason I want to get a good decent, even used as long as it is decent, mower to start out as I want to give myself the best opportunity to succeed. I could never say money is no object as I must watch every penny I have as I am sure most of you guys have had to do and still do to this day. Watching pennies, not because you aren't succeeding, but because you are succeeding and working to build a business that is not only successful for today but for the future.

One of the things I have noticed about the people in the Lawn Care/Landscaping Industry from the boards I visit and the videos I watch is that there are so many of you guys who genuinely want to see the other guy succeed. It is refreshing and inspiring to see good down to home people sharing their knowledge and encouraging others along the way.

Thanks for sharing and the advice.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Fri Mar 2, 2018 2:55 AM

TopCat Lawn Care

Pro-User




[Avatar]

Joined:

Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:25 PM
Messages: 19
Offline

katterkuts wrote:I think it's good to have one but to be honest mine's only half way done


Mine is a work in progress....
YoMommaCutsMyGrass

Pro-User





Joined:

Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:59 AM
Messages: 169
Offline

TopCat Lawn Services wrote:
TexasVeteranLawnService wrote:Welcome to EMB my friend,. A written plan for anything is always a great idea and with the understanding that change may happen for worse or better should also be welcomed. Because changes is what makes us better at what we do.

What ever equipment you start out with make sure you don't bankrupt your pocket book before you get started lol.

You are doing the right things as far as getting all those things on your list done.

I would just start cutting lawns now, no need to wait for a logo and others things to be done. When those things are checked off on the list then that's a bonus

Keep pushing forward and stay motivated


I am ready to go to work. If it ever stops raining and even if I have to haul the mower in the back of my trailblazer.

Thanks for the welcome aboard.


Success is only found after enough determination and self sacrifice is met.

There is more than one way to build your future.

Keep pushing forward bro.
DirtyDeedsWorks

UAG Member




[Avatar]

Joined:

Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:05 PM
Messages: 39
Offline

When we first started out we just kind of dabbled in different things till we figured out what worked. Our first year was mainly getting our clients built up and see what we would need to continue. We started out by just getting a cheap used mower, a walmart special push mower and string trimmer then just went at it. Now we are going strong in our 4 or 5 years, I've honestly lost track lol. ~ Ma

----------------------------------------
Ma & Pa Lee
Dirty Deeds Landscaping & Lawncare
www.facebook.com/DirtyDeedsWorks
www.instagram.com/DirtyDeedsWorks
DirtyDeedsWorks

UAG Member




[Avatar]

Joined:

Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:05 PM
Messages: 39
Offline

When we first started out we just kind of dabbled in different things till we figured out what worked. Our first year was mainly getting our clients built up and see what we would need to continue. We started out by just getting a cheap used mower, a walmart special push mower and string trimmer then just went at it. Now we are going strong in our 4 or 5 years, I've honestly lost track lol. ~ Ma

----------------------------------------
Ma & Pa Lee
Dirty Deeds Landscaping & Lawncare
www.facebook.com/DirtyDeedsWorks
www.instagram.com/DirtyDeedsWorks
 
Forum Index » Operating/Managing a Business
Go to: